Monday, August 7, 2006

What is YOUR Inconvenient Truth?

After reading former vice-president Al Gore’s new book "An Inconvenient Truth" and then seeing the film (more on that later), I began to wonder:  Did I have any inconvenient truths in my life? I have a feeling we all do.

What is yours?

An inconvenient truth is something you absolutely KNOW you have to take care of but doing so will require a change in your life or your lifestyle – that’s the inconvenient part of it. The truth is you will not have a complete life unless you follow through.

To prime your pump, here is one of mine…
Even though I love where I live, I really don’t like it.  It’s noisy (I live right on a freight train line), it’s dirty (lots of traffic and again, the constant train traffic), my apartment is cramped and small and I don’t have a bathtub (yes, I love to have a soak now and then). And even though I don’t like it, I make it a point to love it every day in order to maintain my sanity and happiness.

The truth is, I really want to move. The inconvenience around it includes:

  • the financial cost
  • the energy needed to pack and deal with the move
  • leaving familiar place and faces
  • saying goodbye to good friends
  • putting my cats through the stress and anxiety of moving
  • actually finding the right place to move to

These are the things that stop me – the inconvenient aspects of moving. So what, I ask myself, will it take for me to deal with this inconvenience and deal with the truth that I want to live somewhere other than here.

Well, it takes coming up with a plan that can walk me through each step and each fear and each inconvenience until they no longer become inconvenient but rather easy.

That’s something I think about and work on every day and I get closer all the time to serving this truth in my life.

So what is YOUR inconvenient truth?  What is the dream you have been carrying around that has a few inconveniences attached to it?  What will it take for you to follow through and, in spite of the inconveniences, fulfill the truth that absolutely needs to be fulfilled?  You know in your heart that it must be done – your life and your happiness depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment