Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Autumn is coming...


At some point in the month of August, there comes a day where I get the sense that autumn is just around the corner.  Yesterday was that day.  I know the days have been getting shorter since the summer equinox - and yesterday it really showed up big time for me.  The sky was bluer than blue.  The shadows were noticably longer.  The air had a different crispness to it.  The humidity from the recent heatwave had vanished and was replaced by a cool northern breeze.   It just felt different.  Even the birds were behaving differently...they emptied the feeders 4 times!  The chipmunks were racing from the area under the feeders to their little nests all day long, cheeks bulging with goodies, much to the delight of my kitty Bert who was watching them intently from the kitchen door.

It felt strangely exciting and yet very sad experiencing that little subtle change in the weather.  I do enjoy autumn, although summer is still my favorite month, even with the heat and humidity.  I vow to spend as much time as possible outdoors, savoring every delicious bit of summer and autumn until it's ripped away from me by the winter chill.  In fact, I'm heading out now to watch the full moon rise...

No comments:

Post a Comment