Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Putting your best face forward....


I love people-watching and I have been interested lately in faces and their expressions and emotions. I've noticed that a lot of people appear to be frowning most of the time – they look so unhappy and serious! So I decided to make it a point to be aware of MY face and what facial expression I presented to the world on a daily basis.  It was quite a rude awakening!

I consider myself to be a happy person and when I am out and about I think I have on a pleasant face, but upon catching myself in a mirror or a reflection in the glass of a store front, I actually see a scowl or a solemn expression!  Hmmmm.... So with that new awareness, I am making it a point to smile more – not just when there's something really tangible to smile about, but all the time.

A friend once observed about someone we know that this person always had a smile on her face – no matter what – she walked around all day, every day with a smile.
She was so supremely happy in her life that it showed in her facial expression – she literally glowed and her smile was always there.  It's as if she simply can't help herself!  That's the way I want to present my face to the world. How about you?

I encourage you to take a moment to be aware of your facial expression. Do you gravitate towards frowning more than smiling?  Do you walk around all day with a serious expression on your face?  Does your face "growl"?  Do you smile only on certain occasions or only with certain people?  Or does your face beam with the happiness you feel inside?  If you're not beaming on the inside, it can be a real challenge to beam on the outside.  However, if you start beaming on the outside, the inside will be more prone to follow. Kind of like faking it 'til you make it. So take a moment to look at your facial expression.  It says a lot about you. I think if we all start smiling more and frowning less, we'll all start, well, smiling more!

No comments:

Post a Comment