Sunday, October 1, 2006

USS Ranger CV4 Reunion - Final Day!

Sunday, September 24th - today is the final day for the USS Ranger Reunion and what a day this would be!

We boarded the bus and headed east this time - towards the shore and my favorite sight in the world - the ocean!

We visited Hampton Beach, NH, Newburyport, NH, and Portsmouth, NH.  We had some time in Hampton to walk the beach a bit.  Even though it was a bit rainy and overcast, it was still beautiful being on the beach and taking in the salty air.  I love the beach any time of the year.  And in spite of the cool air, the sand was still warm and toasty under my feet.


Back on the bus, we headed for York and Cape Neddick, ME and the Nubble Light Lighthouse.  The view was breathtaking and we had ample time to walk around the point and take pictures of the lighthouse and the water.  After that we were off and running to our clam bake at Foster's Downeast Clambake in York Harbor, ME.


The clambake was held in a huge hall.  We all had bibs we could wear and there was music provided by a hale and hearty local musician.  They had service down to a fine art.  I had the vegetarian offering - eggplant parmesan.  It was very tasty.  We all had chowder (oops, sorry - chowdah) as well as steamed clams and mussles, boiled potatoes and onion, corn on the cob and of course our main entree - lobter, chicken or vegetarian.   Before dinner we all sang along to the music.  (that's Betty and her sister ready for their lobster!)

After dinner we got a bit rowdy - some of our group played tambourine and maracas with the band guy while others, like Priscilla and Ann (see photo), danced New Orleans style in the ailes.  We all had a great time!  It poured rain while we dined and then the sun came out for most of our trip back to New Hampshire.  We were going to stop for shopping but a thunderstorm and torrential downpours put an end to that.  Instead we did a drive by Point Walker and the Bush Compound.  To tell the truth, that was enough to make me gag and almost lose my lunch.  I am so not a fan of the Bush family.

It was a quiet ride back to the hotel - we all knew this was it - the end of another fabulous reunion.  We all had a wonderful time and now it was time to hug and bid adieu to those heading out that evening.  Monday morning we had the chance for more hugs as the rest of the group headed for home.  Dad and Ann and I barely got all our stuff in the van (I swear things multiply and honestly, I did not buy that much! :>)) and we headed home around 11AM.  On our way home we stopped in Easton, PA at the Olive Garden to celebrate Ann's birthday.  I got home to my sweet home and my kitties around 7PM.  It's good to be home, even better hearing the purrs of my Bert and Ernie, and I am filled with wonderful memories that I will treasure forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment