Monday, October 30, 2006

Bert's Allergies


Over a year ago we had a flea problem here.  Not sure how the fleas got in since my kitties never go out (you only need one pregnant female flea to have a major flea infestation).  Using only natural methods I was able to get rid of the fleas in about a month, but the after-affects continue to linger with my Bert.

I'm very grateful for Bert's doctor, however there's just so much chemical intervention I'm willing to go along with.  After two cortisone injections and a course of prednisone the rash on Bert's belly was still there - and of course it came back stronger each time the drugs wore off.  What happened was the flea bites flipped Bert's immune system and now he has a food allergy.  He's allergic to the proteins in chicken - try to find a cat food that doesn't have chicken in it!

So I did a lot of research and I have found a venison cat food that Bert and Ernie both enjoy (I can just hear Ernie whining every time I feed them - "Why do I have to eat this stuff???  I don't have a rash!")  

I also discovered Lita Radford, D.A., Hom, a brilliant homeopathy practitioner, who has an excellent web site: Pets4Homeopathy.  I highly recommend you visit her site.  I purchased several homeopathic remedies from Lita and I'm so happy to say that the rash is just about gone and Bert's growing hair back on his little pink belly.  I'm expecting a full belly of hair by Christmas.  He's a happier cat and I'm a happier cat mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment