Sunday, October 1, 2006

USS Ranger CV4 Reunion - Day Three

This is a bit late in getting posted.  The wireless network at the hotel left a lot to be desired.  It was slower than dial up!  So I decided to wait until I returned home to post the rest of our Reunion journey!

Thursday, September 21st - our day in Boston, MA

We boarded the bus bright and early and headed south to Boston and an exclusive tour of the USS Constitution, a trip around the city on the Boston Duck Tours, and then an afternoon on our own at Faneuil Hall and the Quincy Market (Mawket ☺)...

The tour of the USS Constitution was quite a treat.  We had a great tour guide and everyone enjoyed exploring the various decks of the ship and hearing about life back in the "old days".  The Constitution, also known as "Old Ironsides" is the oldest Navy ship still in commission, so they always have a full crew on hand.  They often take her out into the Boston Harbor, which I am sure is an amazing sight to behold.


Following that tour, we headed over to the Boston Museum of Science to pick up our Ducks for our Boston Duck Tour.  I took a Duck tour in Washington, DC last summer with my friend Carol and it was such a hoot!  I was really looking forward to this trip.  We had two Ducks for our tour.  I was on the Red Sox Nathan and others were on the Molasses Molly.  Our ConDUCKtor was Captain Courageous and we thoroughly enjoyed his commentaries on the tour.

After our Duck Tour, we were dropped off at the Quincy Market area and Faneuil Hall where we had several hours to shop and eat.  Dad and Ann and I enjoyed a bowl of clam chowder (pronounced chowdah ☺) and while they went to shop, since I'm not a shopper, I headed out to see what else was on the menu.  I found a Bertucci's restuarant nearby and went inside to enjoy an individual Margherita pizza and a Sam Adams beer.  Ah, what a treat.  I almost never get to do that since I am always the designated driver.  But, hey, on a bus trip, I get to enjoy!  My waiter, Tim, was a delight and the pizza and beer were absolutely yummy. 

While waiting for the bus, we got to explore the New England Holocaust Memorial.   It was dedicated in 1995 and is a beautiful tribute to those who suffered during the Shoah (the Holocaust).

We arrived back at the hotel around 6PM, tired and happy and ready to do more socializing in the Hospitality Room.  Some headed off to the swimming pool and hot tub.  I headed back to my room for a hot bath (but only after picking up a few chocolate chip cookies which the hotel had out for everyone every evening). 

After my bath I checked in with my morning petsitter and to my dismay found that she wasn't giving my Bert his medications and that she couldn't do her morning run on Saturday, so I spent the next hour or so frantically calling everyone I knew to get someone for Saturday and to see if Joel could give Bert his meds in the evening.  I thank God for my client, Kari - she came through for me - I appreciate her so much!  I decided to have her do the morning visit Saturday through Monday and I fired the sitter who bailed on me.  I was so disappointed to have to do that, but my kitties are my family and you don't mess with my family! 

Tomorrow we head for the New Hampshire Lakes Region!

No comments:

Post a Comment