Sunday, October 1, 2006

USS Ranger CV4 Reunion - Day Four

Friday, September 22, 2006 we boarded the bus in the morning and headed north this time to Lake Winnipesaukee.  The last time I was by the lake was quite a few years ago on ski trip - the Lake was frozen and dotted with ice fishing houses - it was so charming and beautiful with the trees all frosty and snow on the ground.

Our first stop was the Wright's WWII Museum in Wolfeboro, NH.  This museum is unique in that it shows the home front during WWII - so there were dioramas of rooms in a typical home during that era.  Boy, did that take me back!  Reminded me so much of my Nana's house - the living room carpet they used and the chair in the room were exactly what my grandmother had in her living room.  The upright piano was exactly like the one I played on as a child.  It was interesting seeing the advertising from those days.  If you are ever in that area, I highly recommend checking it out.

After that, we boarded the bus for a wonderful treat - a train ride around Lake Winnipesaukee and a traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner.  We boarded the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad in Meredith, NH.  The dinner was catered by Hart's Turkey Farm.  Thanksgiving is one of about 4 times a year that I eat turkey - and this dinner was scrumptious!  It included lots of turkey, baked to perfection, pureed squash, filling, rolls and butter, cranberry sauce, beverage and dessert.  The men serving us were long time residents of the area and their stories and anecdotes kept us laughing and amused for the entire trip. 


The lake is so beautiful.  Some folks were grabbing their last boating time on the lake - in a few weeks they'll be bringing their boats into dry dock for the winter.  I imagined spending a winter on the lake - would be an awesome place to write a book.  And yes, about half way through the trip, I did see a loon on the water!  What a treat!

On our way back to Manchester, we stopped at the Pepi Hermann Crystal Factory in Gilford, NH (I've skied at the Gunstock Cross Country Ski Center in Gilford many years ago - one of the areas finest).  I did buy myself a nice pair of crystal post earrings and a crystal votive candle holder.   There was also a yarn shop in the building so many of us checked out the fabulous yarns they had.

Our final stop was the Wine and Liquor store - I like to visit the wine stores of different states.  Pennsylvania's wine system is so antiquated and they don't carry wines of many small wineries.  I was delighted to find a few wines that I used to have to travel to Delaware to purchase.  Ever since I saw the movie "Sideways" I've really enjoyed shopping for and exploring different wines. 

Back at the hotel, they had our cookies waiting for us in the lobby.  We spent the evening relaxing together in the Hospitality room and preparing for the Ladies Auction to be held the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment