Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Emmaus Halloween Parade


I live in the Borough of Emmaus in Pennsylvania (about an hour north of Philadelphia, in an area called the Lehigh Valley), and when I tell people who don't understand the "borough" part, they think that my town is inhabited by underground creatures.

Well, tonight you wouldn't be too far off.  It's the night of the big 85th annual Emmaus Halloween Parade and it's quite an event in these parts.  In fact, it's the biggest event of the year!  People were already staking out their spots along the parade route this morning.  The french fry and cheesesteak vendors are in place and they are putting the street barricades up as I type this.  It's gotten so big that the Borough has even placed porta-potties along the parade route.  That's a nice touch.

Folks started decorating their homes weeks ago in anticipation of this event.  This is HUGE!  It's televised on local cable and all the Borough dignitaries come out to view the parade (yes, there is a viewing stand) and vote for the best of show.  High School bands from all over the Valley march in this parade.  Local service groups and churches enter floats in the parade and groups of grade school kids and folks who just want to come out and have a good time join in as well.  The whole event has a Mardi Gras flavor and atmosphere to it.

They expect about 900 participants in tonight's parade with each person receiving $1.00 for marching in the parade.   Other monetary prizes are awarded to floats and bands.

Years ago I used to live right on the route. I had my big Halloween party on parade night and served up my famous oyster stew along with lots of freshly made salads and crudite with amazing dips.  Family and friends would join me to watch the parade from our bird's eye view on my third floor balcony or down on the street where all the action was.  It was grand!  I miss those days...

So ghouls and goblins, put on your finest attire and join me tonight at 7:30 - I'm walking into town to see the parade - hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment